December 22nd, 2002

nyah, tongueout, glasses, nerd

RetrievalBot

Well, I've gotten my first version of the RetrievalBot complete. It's a track-chassis Roverbot (one of the basics in the Lego Mindstorms Constructopedia) with a single bumper on the back, and a homebrew odd spring-ish arm.

Pics: (all images are 800x600, hence just links)

http://www.weyr.org/~kistaro/SideView.jpg
Side view of the robot.


http://www.weyr.org/~kistaro/SideViewArmUp.jpg
Side view, with the retrieval arm fully up. It can continue another 90 degrees forward to pin an object. (Hand, shirt, and pants belong to my father.)

http://www.weyr.org/~kistaro/TopView.jpg
Top view of the robot.

http://www.weyr.org/~kistaro/FrontViewArmDown.jpg
A front view of the robot.

http://www.weyr.org/~kistaro/FrontViewArmUp.jpg
Last pic: front view of the robot, arm up. The hand in the image supporting the arm is mine.

And yes, the robot's arm is able to move on its own; it just hasn't been programmed yet, hence is off, and therefore is not powering the motor.
  • Current Mood
    nerdy nerdy
color cycle (slow)

AUUUGGGHH!

The robot, as I have it designed, won't work; the motors just aren't strong enough to lift the arm. I knew it would be a problem, but I didn't realize exactly how much force was involved;

hence, I'm changing the design totally. I'll have to make it a side-pincer thing, which is pure hell to mount on a Roverbot base.

hmm.

At least the NQC program I wrote should work on both designs...
  • Current Mood
    frustrated frustrated